Grey hair is the symbol of old age, often used in literature as a colorful metaphor. But grey hair often appears at young people and make them look older. For that reason, premature greying is considered as a problem. For the grey color of the hair, melanin is responsible one, the pigment that colors hair. When body stop producing melanin, the hair color turns to grey.
- Causes for a melanin absence can be various.
- Premature greying can be hereditary and runs in the family.
- Unbalanced hormones, caused by a thyroid disorder can cause premature greyness of the hair.
- Today, most common causes are stress, unhealthy lifestyle like smoking habits, allergic infections and pollution.
Occasional appearance of grey strands is considered normal at all ages, but if percentage of hair strands is ten and raising and you are not in your mide-thirties yet, then take a look into some home remedies and advices for revitalization of the melanin production and treatments for the prematurely greying hair.
Amla or Indian gooseberry home remedy for grey hair
Indian gooseberry also called amla is a rich source of antioxidants. It can be taken both ways, orally as a food supplement or applied onto the hair as a hair treatment.
- Boil dried amla in coconut oil until becomes dark. Let it cool down and apply to your hair with the massage. Let it work as long as you can, best to leave it overnight. Wash your hair normally after. Use it once or twice a week. Oil can be stored in a refrigerator.
- Put dried amla into eucalyptus oil and leave it overnight. Use this oil daily and results could be surprising. Keep oil in a refrigerator.
Henna home remedy to restore hair color
Henna is used to color skin and hair for the centuries. This home remedy will not only add natural color to your hair, but also generally improve the hair condition.
- Make paste of henna leaves, black coffee, amla powder and yoghurt. Apply to the scalp but make sure to use glows to prevent henna from coloring your fingers. Leave it on the hair until is dry then wash your hair as usual.
- Boil henna leaves in coconut oil until gets dark color. Cooled oil apply evenly on the hair and wash it of after half an hour. Hair will get natural brown color.
Rosemary and sage for grey hair
Rosemary and sage naturally cover grey hair by coloring in dark. Make darkening tonic by boiling dried leaves into water.
- Add equal amounts of both herbs into double amount of water. Leave the solution to cool down and then strained liquid apply to the clean damp hair. Wash it of with clean water after half an hour. Treat your hair weekly.
Blackstrap molasses grey hair home remedy
Blackstrap molasses contains a great amount of copper which helps in production of melanin.
- Make a habit to eat one spoon daily for prolonged period of time to help stop greyness and restore natural color of the hair.
Curry leaves grey hair tonic home remedy
Curry leaves is rich in nutrients which are responsible for restoration of the pigmentation in the hair.
- To apply leaves, use coconut oil to boil the leaves and extract essentials from the curry. Apply strained oil to the scalp with a massage. Leave it on your hair half an hour before washing.
Onion juice home remedy for premature grey hair
Onion juice is rich in an enzyme that catalyzes the reduction of hydrogen peroxide. Some researches show that hydrogen peroxide is guilty for white color of the strands.
- Use is very simple, just rub onion into the scalp and leave it on for an hour before washing your hair as usual. Another way to use it is to squeeze juice from onion and add a juice of one half of lemon. If you don’t mind the smell, this home remedy could help with a premature grey hair.
Coconut oil and lemon juice mix for grey hair
Coconut oil is a proven home remedy for general hair health restoration. Regularly used with addition of a lemon juice, can help in a battle against premature greying of the hair. Used weekly, for a longer period can stop and reverse greying condition.
- Add half of a lemon juice into the coconut oil. Amount of a coconut oil depends on how long your hair is. Mixture should cover the whole length of strands. Apply treatment hour and a half before washing your hair.
Black tea to cover grey hair
- Use strained strong black tea for the rinses after shampooing. This treatment can be used as much as you hair washing habit demands. Along with the covering greyness, black tea will make your hair soft and shiny.
Black sesame seeds food and hair treatment
Black sesame seeds are used in battle against premature greyness for centuries in Asia. They are helpful both ways, as a nutrition supplement and as a direct hair treatment. For best results, eat two teaspoons of seed every day and use it as a grey hair treatment once a week.
- For hair mask, grind black sesame seeds, add some coconut oil and apply to your scalp. Wash your hair after one hour.
Coconut oil and curry leaves home remedy
Curry leaves is one of the home remedies that can help you to reverse process of premature hair greying. Start to use this spice, if you are not already.
- Add curry leaves to your dishes, along with oriental taste, it will bring a lots of help to your hair care. Tea is another way to use it. Add them into coconut oil and boil for fifteen minutes. Apply strained mixture to your scalp for overnight treatment. Wash hair in the morning normally.
Ridge gourd grey hair mask
Ridge gourd is rich in essentials which are good for the hair health and has medical use in treating conditions related to melanin insufficiency. Hair tonic made of ridge gourd and coconut oil is known grey hair home remedy used to reverse premature greyness.
- Leave ridge gourd in coconut oil for a few days before boiling. Boil until mas get thick. Store paste in tight bottle and use once a week as overnight mask. Wash your hair in the morning.
Sesame and carrot to stop premature greying
All home remedies for premature greying have one thing in common, and that is time. This remedy needs to be used at least four months, but important thing is a result. Choose home remedy that suits you and make a habit of it. Sesame and carrot are used through centuries in Asia to treat early greyness.
- Take equal amounts of sesame oil, carrot juice and fenugreek seeds powder. Put all ingredients into bottle made of transparent glass and with tight cover. Leave it in the sunny place, like window, for a three weeks. After that, mixture is ready for use. Use it as a mask, keep it on the scalp for a twenty minutes before washing.
Buttermilk to prevent early greying of oily hair
Buttermilk is another home remedy that prevents our hair to turn grey before time. If you suffer from oily hair, then use buttermilk instead of oil to make masks. This remedy can be used with curry leaves or fenugreek seeds powder.
- Mix equal amounts of buttermilk and curry leaves or fenugreek seeds powder and slowly boil the mixture for a few minutes. While still warm, apply on your hair. Keep it on while it is warm. Wash your hair as usual.
Amaranth to restore natural hair color
Juice from amaranth leaves can be extracted in blender.
- Apply this juice to your scalp after shampooing and wash it off with clean water after ten minutes. Like any remedy for grey hair, this one needs to be applied for prolonged time for the best results.
Sage water to prevent early greyness and restore natural color
Sage leaves is a home remedy widely used in Asia to fight against premature graying. This remedy helps to restore natural pigment of the hair.
- Make a strong tea of sage leaves. Let it cool down, strain and put into sprayer. Use this to spray your hair every time before washing, at least three hours ahead.
Potato peel to darken grey hair
Potato peel is the old trick to make a grey hair darker.
- Boil one amount of potato peel in two amounts of water. Let it slowly boil for about 10 minutes. Let it cool down and strained liquid keep in tightly closed bottle. Use it for a final rinse, do not wash it off. Dry your hair normally.
Essential oils to cover grey hair
For dry hair care, massage essential oils into your scalp every evening.
- Use small amounts, few drops, and massage into the scalp. The light hair will benefit from chamomile and dark hair from rosemary.
Rum to cover grey hair
Rum will give additional color to homemade tonic for grey hair.
- Make tea from sage leaves, cool it down, strain liquid and add one little cup of rum. Apply daily on your roots with cotton ball. Grey hair will become darker progressively.
Advices for premature hair greying
- Wash your hair regularly.
- Make sure to take enough vitamins and iron.
- Quit smoking, alcohol, caffeine and fast food.
- Exercise, relax and control stress level.
- Keep your hair moisturized and protected from bad weather.
- Whenever is possible, massage skin of the head with your fingers.
- Avoid public pools because of chlorine, or wear tight shower cap.